Bega Liz

Breeding vegetables

This was posted to the Bega Valley Seed Savers facebook page today. I'm just parking it here so we don't lose this link.
https://idl-bnc-idrc.dspacedirect.org/b ... -14258.pdf
[Edit: http://sharebooks.com/content/plant-bre ... l-robinson - this link is the author's original sharing location of all his books]

It is a 500 page book so just a little light reading. :D

"Seed saving is the first step to local food sovereignty and community self reliance/resilience, but actively breeding locally adapted food plants is the next step.
This book , Return to Resistance - Raoul Robinson (1994), gives a very good grounding in plant breeding via both the modern Mendelian approach and also the very much older, more wholistic biometric approach.
Modern plant breeding is increasingly moving into in the hands of biotech corporations and their Mendelian approach which is failing humanity in a number of ways including the ever increasing use of toxic rescue chemistry.
This book offers some ideas to buck that trend and take back what rightfully belongs to all humanity. One idea is that of Plant Breeding Clubs that work on a community scale to produce local cultivars via comprehensive horizontal resistance in food crops to suit local conditions.
I believe this to be the next step for local community based seed saving organisations.
Well worth a read for a greater understanding of plant genetics/breeding alone , even if you don’t take up the challenge." Paul Ward.
rowanseeds

Re: Breeding vegetables

Breeding food plants is really valuable, especially as we have lost so many varieties, and can't import new varieties into Australia of most vegetables now. We need to develop more future heirlooms.

When I had my farm I had a few breeding programs (melons, zucchini, and oca) and released (into the public domain) many varieties. Now I only have a potato breeding program since I don't have a lot of space. I can help anyone with advice if they want to look into it, it isn't difficult but requires some knowledge and practice.

Three books I can recommend for beginners without a lot of technical stuff are:
1, Plant breeding for the home garden by Joseph Tychonievich
2, Breed your own vegetable varieties by Carol Deppe
3, The lost art of potato breeding by Rebsie Fairholm

These books will give any beginner to breeding some basic information to get started. Breeding takes time but is a lot of fun.
Bega Liz

Re: Breeding vegetables

Thanks Rowan,
I was aware of the Carol Deppe book but I'll have to go check out the others now.

Return to “Seed Saving discussion”