Botanical name : Vigna unguiculata
Common name : Cow pea, Asparagus bean, Snake bean, Black Eyed bean
- Small image that represents the plant, flowers or fruits and seeds.
- Plant at eating stage (if leafy green etc. not fruit)
- Plant at flowering
- Plant fruit
- Harvest time
Growing for seed
- What do we need to know when growing for seed? Is it the same as growing for eating?
- Fuller explanations of the items in the summary box where required. Highlight any particular challenges for this species.
- What are we looking for in good seed plants?
- How do we identify off types? Shape? Size? Flavour? Colour?
- Should we remove plants that are more susceptible to pest or disease from the gene pool?
Diseases & Pests (Optional section)
- Anything of note for this species and varieties.
- How and when do we harvest for seed?
- What are the options for harvesting seed material?
- How do we tell when the seed is mature?
- Are there post harvest actions that should be taken?
- Is post-harvest (after) ripening required or recommended?
- How do we separate the seed from the plant material?
- What does the seed look like?
- Is it wet or dry processed?
- How is it done?
- Sieved? Winnowed? Fermented?
- How is it grown?
- Sowing dates. Suitable climates. Germination temps etc?
- Any relevant historical info regarding origins, cultivation and other salient details.
- How is it used?
- How to eat or cook it?
Contributors: Who contributed to this page.
- Links to other sites and videos that are useful